What is Facebook? Well, no one is unaware of that! Facebook is a social networking site where you connect and share your day to day life with our friends, family and the world out there. it connects you to the various social circles out there. it helps you to keep in touch with your friends, post your pictures and videos, share links and exchange information. Facebook is the largest social networking site in the world, with 750+ million active users. It promotes and facilitates your interaction with everyone.
Here are some of the major advantages and disadvantages of using Facebook in today’s era.
Pros of Facebook 🙂
- Facebook has nowadays become the most famous platform for creating and promoting brands by many individuals and businesses. It is arguably the most powerful social media platform for networking out there. you can sell and promote your product/service to a highly-targeted audience, thus increasing the possibilities of making money online. Since this is a global platform, distance and location are no more treated as barriers. It also allows partnerships for various projects. You can also make a fan page and increase your brand value and social presence for you brand. This helps you to find new leads and clients.
- It is a major source of entertainment for people around the globe. From sharing photos and thoughts to memes and videos, everyone uses Facebook for refreshing themselves up a bit.
- Facebook also come with a translation feature, helping you to easily connect with users from different and far away countries who speak a variety of different languages. Facebook not only allows but also encourages us to connect with everyone.
- You can now video chat on Facebook too. The feature has been recently implemented in partnership with skype. You can easily face-time your friends now at any hour using the inbuilt video chat service.
- You can host your images and videos on Facebook. And the best part is that you can control through the privacy settings for your individual albums as to who can see what you share. You can also download your own photos and videos the number of times you wish, thus keeping a backup plan for you forever. Moreover, Facebook also provides a backup account feature.
- It helps you to stay updated with the latest news and information. Bloggers and internet marketers too subscribe to popular blog fan pages and keep themselves aware of the latest updates.
- Facebook works as a personal portfolio for you. You can create dramatic first time impressions for your personal profile branding by the timeline cover. It can simply help tell people quickly what you are all about. It can also help people see your expertise and connect with you easily.
Cons of Facebook 🙁
- The foremost and major concern of Facebook is related to the privacy. it has already created a huge amount of buzz over this topic. It highly increases the risks of people going through your profile and misusing your photographs. Many such scenarios have arisen, thus leading to the privacy features. But still this does not totally eradicate this issue by any means.
- Using it for online banking, social networking or other services, increasing the risks of this leading to the theft of your personal information such as your name or card number. People can access this information through unsecured connections or through software’s and use it for their benefit. This could lead to some major troubles.
- Virus attacks are a getting a more too often nowadays due to Facebook usage. Virus programs are inconspicuous and may get activated if you click a seemingly harmless link, even though by mistake. Thus, these users are very prone to virus attacks and this result is their systems crashing.
- Spamming is also an issue of Facebook. It leads to your mailbox getting stacked up with unwanted e-mails. This is very frustrating and makes your system slower and less reliable.
- Facebook addiction in children and teenagers is the greatest concern for parents. They keep on using it day and night without even realizing the amount of time they have wasted on it. This affects their day to day routines and mainly studies.
- Your personal life is basically on display and any updates comes in the notice of friends and others. Thus, your privacy is compromised.
- Pornography is the biggest disadvantage of Facebook. It allows you share and download millions of photos and videos thus impacting the lives of children and teenagers. They can also create a havoc in the marital and social lives of adults.
Tags:essay prons and cons facebook
Pros and Cons of Facebook
The site has constantly adapted, and even reinvented itself in many ways according to the needs, and often the greed of its users. Such has been its impact that people would much rather communicate with each other on Facebook than through emails, or at times even meeting in person! Here are some things that make it such a hit among people across all age groups and social backgrounds.
- Registering on the site is an extremely smooth process.
- You would feel right at home with the uncluttered UI of the site.
- It transcends all physical boundaries, and lets you connect with long-lost friends and distant family.
- If you choose to do so, you could share your thoughts and even post photographs of events in your daily life.
- The site offers you the freedom to choose whom you would like to share your 'updates' with.
- You can stay updated with all the current affairs of the world.
- You can be well informed about what goes on in the lives of the people who are close to you, but are separated by physical boundaries.
- You can interact with people with similar thoughts and ideas across the globe. You can even choose to be a part of groups with people who have a common cause or concern, or merely just a similar interest.
- The site provides you with a virtual time-line of your life through your Facebook updates over the years.
- The site gives you an opportunity to express yourself, and be heard.
- Facebook also serves as an excellent platform to message and even video chat with your friends.
- The many online games that are a part of the website, let you unwind and even promote social interaction with their many multiplayer functions.
- You can watch and share your favorite videos and photographs.
- You can 'promote' your product or even your updates if you choose to do so with other users. You can even choose your target audience, based on their interests, genders, age, geographic region, and even the kind of device they use to log on to the site.
- You can even organize events, and gather people for them rather effortlessly with the events application on FB.
- While this may sound like stating the obvious, the biggest pro for Facebook is the fact that it offers all these features for free (apart from the apps on sale at the FB Marketplace).
- Although a lot has been done to improve the site's security, it still has a lot of loopholes. Privacy is a major concern for most Facebook users, and you need to take care to see who you share your social feeds with.
- You can be bombarded with updates about things that don't really interest you or are of your concern; these could be updates about your acquaintances or even about the pages that people in your friends list may randomly like.
- Often there seems to be very little that separates your personal life from your social life.
- The freedom of expression on 'FB' is often misused and many a time abused by people who seem to be virtually living on the site.
- There is always the possibility of identity theft on the site.
- There are loads of fake and bogus accounts on the site, with people looking to steal your personal information.
- The games and the site itself can be very addictive.
- In spite of the many security settings in place, your images can still be misused.
- There have also been several instances of online stalkers.
- You might often need to be the witness to unnecessary dramatization of even the pettiest of things in people's lives.
- The frequent updates, although meant to improve the overall user experience, also means that you need to update your security settings often to keep up with the changes.
- Of late there has been a rise in the number of commercial adverts on the website, which can be quite annoying, and hampers the overall user experience.
Having said all this, I would still state that Facebook undoubtedly is a fantastic invention, which has brought the world closer together. At the same time though, we've never been further apart from each other. At the end of the day, let us remember that it is our lives that govern our interests and not the other way round.