Our students are like snowflakes, no two are alike. Are you a lawyer who is bursting with creativity and needs to get out of that large law firm? Did you just graduate with a 4-year degree and realize that you really need a portfolio to get your dream job? Have you always been creative and wanted a career rather than be a starving artist? Then this school is for you!
Apply to the one Miami Ad School location you are most interested in attending. If, after you're accepted, you change your mind and want to attend a different location your acceptance is transferable. You will only need to fill out the enrollment form for that new location and pay the corresponding tuition rate.
Our portfolio programs are designed to prepare you to be a creative with skills that are broad and appropriate. Although you only have time to study one major in your two years here, you will get a lot of cross pollination. Copywriters take Adobe Creative Suite. Art directors take a writing course. You will be well prepared no matter which major you choose!
- Art Direction - 2 years (8 quarters)
- Copywriting - 2 years (8 quarters)
- Digital Design - 2 years (8 quarters)
- Photography - 2 years (8 quarters)
- Master of Science degree in Mass Communication awarded by Florida International University (FIU) in Miami, Florida – 19 months (6 quarters at MAS – 5 semesters at FIU concurrent)
- Account Planning - 3 months (1 quarter)
- Social Media - 3 months (1 quarter)
Miami Ad School PRO Workshops:
- 1/2 day, 1 day and custom training
Choose the school in the city where you would like to live, explore and study for a year.* Then if they choose, students can participate in the Quarter Away program and experience several other locations where the Miami Ad School has programs. The courses in each location are practically identical and the instructors in each city are all advertising and design professionals at the top of their game.
Different schools do have different majors and languages so make sure you are fluent in the native language. English is the norm at most of the schools and Quarter Away locations, but in Buenos Aires and Mexico City classes are held in Spanish. In Sao Paulo classes are in Portuguese. In Madrid you can learn in Spanish, English or both!
* Students who attend Miami Ad School New York for the art direction or copywriting program stay in New York for the duration of the two year program. They have the opportunity to participate in an internship or agency lab in their 8th quarter.
In most cities the portfolio programs in art direction, copywriting, digital design and photography and video start four times a year: January, April, July or October. The quarters are identical so start at the time of year that is most convenient for you. In some locations the programs start less frequently. Check the APPLY section or contact your admissions advisor for details.
The master's program in Miami starts twice a year: January and October.
Boot camps in account planning and social media are offered once a year at most locations. The time of year the boot camp is offered varies by location. Check the APPLY section or contact your admissions advisor for details.
The application, all application requirements and due dates for each location and program can be found in the APPLY section. You can DOWNLOAD program brochures and the catalog.
Financial aid is available. Click on the school location you are interested in attending to see the type of aid available.
US school locations that offer financial aid:
- New York
- San Francisco
International locations that offer financial aid:
The Quarter Away option allows students in the portfolio programs to study and intern in up to four additional cities around the world.* Click on the INTERNSHIPS section to see the different options and read stories from our students about their amazing experiences.
Miami Ad School New York students, due to NY state regulations, are eligible for one Quarter Away within New York during their 8th quarter.
International students within the United States can intern in agencies outside of the US, participate in Agency Labs, Intern Labs or attend other Miami Ad School locations. International students are not eligible to intern within the US.
Masters students have the opportunity to study or intern for one quarter during their program.
Boot camp students don't participate in Quarter Away. Sorry guys.
Portfolio programs: art direction, copywriting, creative technology, digital design, digital photography & video
- Miami: $4,850 per quarter / $19,400 a year / $38,800 total tuition cost for the 2-year program (8 quarters)
- New York: $4,850 per quarter / $19,400 a year / $38,800 total tuition cost for the 2-year program (8 quarters)
- San Francisco: $4,850 per quarter / $19,400 a year / $38,800 total tuition cost for the 2-year program (8 quarters)
- Atlanta: $4,850 per quarter / $19,400 a year / $38,800 total tuition cost for the 2-year program (8 quarters)
- Hamburg: 2,600€ per quarter / 20,800€ total tuition cost
- Berlin: 2,600€ per quarter / 20,800€ total tuition cost
- Madrid: 2,600€ per quarter / 20,800€ total tuition cost
- Sao Paulo: R$6,248.40 per quarter / R$49,987.20 total tuition cost
- Rio: R$5,952.90 per quarter/ R$47,623.20 total tuition cost
- Mexico City: $33,000MX per quarter / $264,000MX total tuition cost
- Sydney: AUD $4,400 incl. GST per quarter / $35,200 incl. GST total tuition cost
- Buenos Aires: AR$ 32.775 per quarter / AR$ 262.200 total tuition cost
- Mumbai: Rs 1,50,000 per quarter/Rs 12,00,000 total tuition cost (subject to local taxes)
- Toronto: $4,062 CDN per quarter / $32,500 CDN total tuition cost
- Punta Cana: $3,210 per quarter / $12,840 a year / $25,680 total tuition cost. (For non-residents)
Masters program in conjunction with FIU:
- Miami: $7,970 per semester / $39,850 total tuition cost (students pay tuition to FIU for both schools)
Account Planning Boot Camp:
- Miami: $10,000 total tuition cost
- New York: $10,000 total tuition cost
- San Francisco: $10,000 total tuition cost
- Atlanta: $10,000 total tuition cost
- Hamburg: 4,500€ total tuition cost
- Madrid: 4,100€ total tuition cost
- Mexico City: $45,000MX total tuition cost
- Sao Paulo: R$8,471.80 total tuition cost
- Sydney: AUD $5,000 incl. GST total tuition cost
- Buenos Aires: AR$ 25.500 total tuition cost
- Toronto: $9,000 CAD total tuition cost
Social Media Boot Camp:
- Miami: $6,000 total tuition cost
- New York: $6,000 total tuition cost
- San Francisco: $6,000 total tuition cost
- Atlanta: $6,000 total tuition cost
- Mexico City: $45,000MX total tuition cost
- Sao Paulo: R$ 8,471.80 total tuition cost
- Buenos Aires: AR$ 13.000 total tuition cost
- Toronto: $6,500 CAD total tuition cost
UX Design Boot Camp:
- Toronto: $6,500 CAD total tuition cost
We have skills tests to test out of some basic Adobe applications. Sometimes advanced placement is awarded for prior training or work experience but keep in mind the typical Miami Ad School student already has related educational or work experience. If you skip over too many classes then you are not building a portfolio. The most advanced placement allowed is eight classes/two quarters and this happens very rarely.
All of our students rent apartments in the area where the school is located. If you have questions about an individual location just contact the school you are interested in attending. They will suggest apartments or real estate agents that you can contact. If you're interested in having a roommate the school can connect you with other new students who want to share an apartment.
Yes! Miami Ad School is accredited by the Council on Occupational Education or, COE.
Medical expenses in the United States are very costly. We strongly recommend that you purchase health insurance. Please contact your local health insurance office. They may have plans that can cover you. If they don’t the school has an insurance pamphlet that will explain other options.
Below dates are for the schools within the United States. Please contact the advisor for the school you would like to attend outside of the US for their specific dates.
2017 Winter quarter:
- classes start January 3, 2017
- classes end March 10, 2017
2017 Spring quarter:
- classes start April 3, 2017
- classes end June 9, 2017
2017 Summer quarter:
- classes start July 5, 2017
- classes end September 8, 2017
2017 Fall quarter:
- classes start October 2, 2017
- classes end December 8, 2017
2018 Winter quarter:
- classes start January 2, 2018
- classes end March 9, 2018
2018 Spring quarter:
- classes start April 2, 2018
- classes end June 8, 2018
Not a FAQ but this seemed the best place to put this info.
Please note, by law, in the state of Florida we must inform you there is a sexual predator and sexual offender registry website and toll free telephone number provided by the Florida Department of Law Enforcement (FDLE) for your use and safety. Contact info is below:
FDLE toll-free number - 1-888-357-7332 for TTY Accessibility - 1-877-414-7234
As the entire communications industry is in the midst of the most profound transformation in consumers’ relationship with media, the Mission of the Miami Ad School is to train the creative thinkers of the future before the future has happened; to engineer pop culture with creative insight and strategic thinking from a global perspective. Students learn to solve problems with whatever discipline, channel, skill or craft necessary, using new and emerging media as well as traditional media.
Confessions of a Creative
It took acing a statistics test to make me realize I wanted to be in advertising.
Pippa Seichrist, Co-founder Miami Ad School
On my final exam in statistics, next to the 97% written at the top of the page, my college professor had scrawled in red ball point pen, “See me after class!” I was worried he thought I had cheated. Instead of accusing me of dishonesty my professor said, “You scored higher in my class than any woman ever has. If you want a job doing statistics for the citrus industry let me know.” Graduation was the next week and I had no idea what I wanted to do for a living. I only knew that I would be miserable dealing with numbers as my life’s work.
I was creative. My head buzzed with ideas. I loved coming up with the unexpected. Starting my freshman year, before sun-up on Valentine's Day, I secretly covered the college’s sidewalks with colored chalk drawings and little anonymous notes of admiration to friends, instructors, acquaintances and Evelyn the amazing cafeteria lady who made everyone feel special. I would write those nice thoughts you think about people but never tell them because it would be awkward. The next day was so fun watching everyone read their compliments and wonder who had written them. I didn’t know it at the time but what I was doing was practicing the skills needed to create great advertising: concept, design, writing, and user experience.
When you apply to Miami Ad School we ask that you submit a few samples of your creative work. People often ask “What should I submit?” The answer is absolutely anything that shows who you are as a creative person. Some people submit examples of ads they concepted, logos they designed or photographs. Other people share kookier things like their stand-up comedy routines, sculptures made out of scotch tape, stop-motion animations, cartoons, poems and a zillion other fun ideas. Here are two amazing videos that people submitted with their applications. But don't be intimidated. These are just a couple of our all time faves.
Miami Ad School Application Video by Humberto Belli
A Film for Miami Ad School by Tanya Karpitskiy
P.S. After getting additional training that taught me the specific skills needed to put together a portfolio I was hired as an art director in an advertising agency. My first week on the job I called my mom and said, “Mom, this is so fun I would do it for free.” She said, “Shhh! They might hear you!”
The Cool Kids Subscribe
(inspiration, ideas, tips & funny stories)